Where are they now? An interview with 2012 Engineering Physics alumus, Scott Lowe

Scott Lowe graduated from OU in 2012 with a Bachelor of Science degree in Engineering Physics.

Scott describes himself, according to his LinkedIn profile, as a recklessly idealistic, generally irreverent, student of life.

We caught up with Scott in Detroit and asked him a few questions.

How did your OU degree in engineering physics prepare you for your career?
Physics was always about finding solutions for me. My physics degree helped me hone my problem solving skills, and in my day-to-day as a software engineer, those skills come in handy.

How did your involvement in the CCEW (Center for the Creation of Economic Wealth) while a student at OU impact you?
CCEW taught me the value of a good team. It was my first real exposure to start-ups and business. In that way, CCEW started me down my current path.

Where have you been since OU? Where are you now?
Detroit

Describe your experience as a fellow with Venture For America.
My VFA fellowship provided me with the start-up training, connections and resources I needed to start a company. As a fellow, I worked for two years at start-ups in Detroit, first as a business analyst, then a software engineer.

Describe your experience as a software engineer with Chalfly.
My transition into software development resulted in a huge expansion of my responsibilities. By leveraging my problem solving talent, I skyrocketed my value-add to the company which earned me the latitude to contribute to nearly every arm of the business, from digital marketing to recruiting. Being in the trenches and working on the many problems that you inevitably encounter while building a start-up only fueled my passion for coding.

How did you become a co-founder of Rebirth Realty?
A few other Detroit fellows and I realized that the disparity between real estate prices and rental rates presented an economic opportunity, so we bought an abandoned mansion in the tax auction. The plan was to build a communal living and working space for Detroit fellows by restoring one of the many blighted properties that plague Detroit. Today, the rehab is nearly complete and the mansion currently houses six fellows who have started a combined four businesses in Detroit.

How did Castle come about? Tell me more about this start-up.
Castle is a real estate tech start-up that takes the work out of being a landlord. We provide the same services as property management companies much more efficiently through software, automation and on-demand labor. Check us out at entercastle.com

At the end of our fellowship, the Rebirth guys and I knew we wanted to build a new start-up, and Castle was born at the intersection of our tech skills and real estate experience. After a few months of research and experimenting with different ideas, we found a problem that we could solve: being a landlord comes with a stressful, part-time job!

Where do you see yourself in five years?
In five years, I'd like to look back and be proud of what I've built. Also a sports car would be cool. :]

Popular posts from this blog

OU Engineering Welcomes 14 New Faculty Members for 2023-24

OU Engineering 1 of 28 Teams Nationwide to Receive DEPSCoR Grant

OU Engineering Students Shine in Community Projects